Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Tasting - Trader Joe's Reserve Syrah



Name: Trader Joe's Reserve Syrah Paso Robles
Variety: Syrah
Region: California's North Coast
Country: USA
Year: 2009
Price: $9.99

Wine Critic's Review: Initially very aggressive tannins with blackberry and licorice flavors. With aeration smoky, mineral and bacon elements prominently join join understated licorice. Shows really well on night two with the tannins softening and the savory components on display. Tried some on the third day out of curiosity to find a wine filled with jammy plum and modest tannins that bore little resemblance to its prior self. This could obviously use some bottle age to shed some of the tannins, but it's a great value right now with aeration and appropriate food." -Cellartracker.com

My Review: The aromas I got from initially first sniffing the wine was a savory and meaty aroma, with a hint of fruit. I could smell a little bit of strawberries coming through. On my palate I noticed the meaty flavors and the fruity flavors actually blended well. When I first sniffed the wine I was unsure as to how the different scents would mix on the palate. I enjoyed this wine.

I did not eat anything when trying this wine.

1 comment:

  1. Trader Joe's has some great wines for less than 10 bucks. I like the Terrenal Cabernet Sauvignon and Tempranillo from Spain. You can't beat the price either. $3.99 a bottle. (They are only available at TJs.)

    ReplyDelete